"Science creates business – this is our guiding principle. It is precisely at times like these that available knowledge must be used as widely as possible."
The Bayerische Patentallianz GmbH was founded on January 1, 2007, by The University of Bavaria e.V. and The Bavarian Universities of Applied Sciences e.V. and continues the work of the BayernPatent project in the form of a company owned by the universities. As a link between science and industry we have made it our goal to make the excellent and proprietary inventions of the Bavarian universities and universities of applied sciences commercially exploitable for industry.
We manage innovations
Together with the patent consultants at the various Bavarian universities we assist the scientists in identifying and evaluating inventions which are of interest commercially as well as in the financing, application and maintenance of patents.
In order to market our patents and technologies we use our extensive contacts to industry. On behalf of our partner universities we negotiate all option, licensing and transfer contracts with the companies. We coordinate and control the complete marketing process and also conclude the agreements with the companies. The proceeds made primarily flow back to the universities and inventors.
Facts and figures
In 2015 BayPAT has
- evaluated 292 invention disclosures
- initiated and managed 75 patent applications
- marketed 16 inventions to industry
Since its foundation in 2007 BayPAT has
- evaluated 2.263 invention diclosures in the fields of life sciences and physical sciences
- generated 1.800 active customer contacts
- initiated and managed 559 patent applications
- closed 223 agreements with industry
- generated a revenue of about 6,74 Mio Euros with these agreements
The revenues come from patent licensing or patent assignments to small, medium and large companies. The agreements are diverse regarding form and extent: E.g.licensees have to pay upfront and/or milestone payments during the developmental phase as well as a proportionate share of the revenue generated by a product. A large part of the generated revenues from these agreements is payed to the universities.
Bayerische Patentallianz GmbH offers you products from these product groups:
- Electronics and Microtechnology (125)
- IT and Software (79)
- Materials and Surfaces (64)
- Mechanical Engineering and Production Processes (85)
- Services (215)
- Medical Device Manufacture (124)